• Jordan Carrasquillo

Liquid Barn : The Future of Vaping

Updated: Oct 9, 2020

This is a video I wanted to make for a long time. I had done some work with Liquid Barn in the past, but I really wanted to raise the bar in what I could produce. If you're unfamiliar with Liquid Barn, they produce a variety of flavoring products used for food and e-liquid for vaping. I wanted to make a grand video showcasing all of their flavoring products, using real fruits and candy that the flavors emulate. It's part instructional, showing how to use their products and part commercial showing the diversity in their flavoring line.

All fresh produce for the video.

This is the culmination of many weeks of work, shot and edited at my home. I started off buying tons of food for the video. Fresh fruits, some cake, chocolate and beverages. Using real food often lends to a better result, though they can always use lots of dressing on set.

The setups for many of the food shots were simple, utilizing black acrylic for a natural reflection under the food. I used the Laowa 24mm Probe Lens on my Blackmagic Pocket 4k, mounted on a Edelkrone SliderOne and HeadOne kit. The probe lens with the Edelkrone slider are the perfect pairing, allowing for a wide-angle macro view that floats through the food.

I used the Nanlite PavoTube 15C RGBW lights set to transition different colors to create a unique background, placing the tube lights in different setups to make a "futurist" look.

For the swirling liquid shots, I used a large acrylic vase filled with water or a water and Elmer's Glue mixture to emulate milk. This was placed on a magnetic stirrer which created the large tornado looking swirl I was looking for.

With the fake milk mixture, I simply used a syringe filled with strawberry syrup as the mixer was spinning to create this transition from normal milk to strawberry milk. This took a few attempts to get the right swirl look but I was very happy with the outcome.

I used syringes with medical tubing for a lot of the liquid flowing and pouring shots. I hollowed out one of their liquid bottles and glued the medical tubing to the tip of the bottle to emulate the pouring from the bottle. Doing it by hand caused it to shake a lot in a close up so this was easier to rig together.

One of my favorite shots was making a bokeh in the shape of the Liquid Barn logo.

This took a few attempts to get just right, but I was happy with the final result. I printed the logo in a variety of sizes on sheets of paper and cut them out using an exacto knife then placing the paper over the lens. I hung some Christmas lights in the background which were thrown out of focus on my 100mm Macro lens.

These images are from the first test using a cutout on a post-it note. The later cutouts were more rigid and cut better. It took a dozen tries or so to get the right shape without breaking the logo.

This is another shot that I had planned from the very beginning of the inception of this project. I wanted to utilize paint clouds in a tank of water and have them collide on the product. The product in the video is a combination of 3 different ingredients, and they have them color coded on their packaging with red, green and blue colors so I wanted to demonstrate how all 3 ingredients, or colors are blended together in the final product.

The setup for this shot took me most of a day to do. I bought a 10 gallon fish tank from Amazon and filled it with water. Shooting with a water tank is tricky, you need to keep a rubber window wiper handy to clean the small bubbles from the tank. I set up the tank on a table in front of a black backdrop and lights all around.

For the paint, I used regular acrylic paint. I found using the paint on its own was too thick, so I had to mix 1 part paint to about 4 parts water to get the right consistency for a good looking plume of color. I used syringes to shoot the paint in a controlled manner. The force from the syringes make a cone looking cloud and made it easy to point the cloud at the product. For the final shot I had a friend help me and we both held syringes with different colors, syncing up the plumes to hit the product.

I glued the product to an acrylic pole that was glued to the back wall of the tank, hidden behind the product so it just sat fixed in the tank in one position. It was pretty easy to work around.

When shooting with a water tank like this, I found it to be a huge pain. It's extremely heavy to carry around and frankly pretty dangerous with lights everywhere. Instead of carrying around the glass tank filled with up to 8 gallons of water I found it easier to empty the tank into a bucket and dump that away.

I had to clean the tank between every take so it took most of the day to get several takes. I other versions with a smaller vase, shooting colors at the flavor bottles. Only a few of the shots made the final cut.

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All